THIS IS THE BEST CHILI YOU WILL EVER MAKE! I lived in Mexico for a few years in the mid 80’s and once the ladies in the stalls at the market knew I wasn’t a tourist, they shared their secrets of dried chiles with me. Dried Ancho chiles taste like spicy raisins and are not heat but flavor. I buy dried Ancho at our supermarket, remove the stems and seeds, toast them on my pancake griddle and buzz them in a little coffee grinder that I use just for spices. You can also buy a bottle of McCormick Ancho Powder in the store these days.
Write a review
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 15 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 10g
Dietary Fiber 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1½ pounds very lean ground beef or beef pork 'meatloaf mix' combo
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green or red pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder (McCormick sells bottled ancho and its worth it to procure some)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 chipotle peppers from a can, finely chopped with some of the sauce
- One 28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes - I use San Marzano or Cento or Progresso
- One can of beer - any brand
- Two, 15 ounce cans beans, well drained - use combo of pinto, small red, or black beans
- Sea salt
- Cilantro, scallions, sour cream or Greek yogurt - additions for garnish
- Brown the meat in a large pot over high heat in a splash of olive oil. Spoon off extra fat, if any has accumulated. Add the onion, pepper, garlic and jalapenos and cook until softened. Add the chili powders, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and cocoa and stir in while mixture cooks for an additional two minutes. Stir in the chipotles, tomatoes, beer and beans.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes, until thick and flavors blend. Make sure it has enough salt.
- Have faith and make sure you use the cinnamon and cocoa powder. It doesn’t hit you in the face, it’s subtle. Back when we first started the online business, I used to make 20 gallon drums of dried chili mix and have it packaged but we cant do it anymore, soooo… I am sharing my top secret flavors. People have won contests using my seasoning mix!
POST-OP LIVING http://recipes.chicoweightloss.com/wp/